Tuesday 18 March 2014

All About Brows



Lets talk eyebrows.  In my last post I mentioned it's only in the last 3 years or so I've really paid attention to my brows.  I love the fact they can transform an entire look and feel I have become something of a brow product addict. Benefit, MAC and Anastasia Beverly Hills are amongst some of my favourites for eyebrow grooming perfection.

I try and get my eyebrows threaded every couple of months and in-between times pluck / trim them myself.  I've had them waxed a few times before, however find threading is a lot more precise, a little less painful (personally) and gentler on my skin.

My favourite brow combo of the moment consists of Benefit's Gimme Brow to add volume and definition, followed by the Anastasia Dipbrow Pommade applied with a MAC 226 angled brush.  I find this combination gives me the shape and hold I want without looking too dark or heavy in contrast against my hair colour.  The Dipbrow Pommade currently comes in 5 colours and for as long as I can remember since this launching (early 2014) has always had a waiting list. If you haven't heard of Anastasia Beverly Hills and are an eyebrow lover like myself, you seriously need to check this brand out.

Powder

I've used various different powders throughout my brow journey and think they are brilliant for giving natural definition and adding thickness to sparse brows.  You can't really go wrong with a brow powder so always a good option for brow beginners.  My current powders of choice are the HD Brow Palette, also soon to release their new makeup range, Benefit Brow Zings mentioned on their website as the UK's no.1 best selling brow kit and any MAC eye shadow suited to your brow colour. I'd recommend you stay away from shimmer and only go for the matte shades, unless shimmery brows is your thing.

Pencil

Personally I find pencils the easiest to use of the bunch. You can get sharp definition with a pencil and go as natural or as bold as you like.  Unlike a powder I find they don't add as much volume to sparse brows, however used in combination can provide good results.  My favourites are Benefit Instant Brow soft creamy and comes with a little spooly at the end, very handy for brushing through brows before and after to soften the line and tame any stray hairs.  Gosh Eyebrow Pencil slightly firmer in texture than the Benefit one and again comes with a little spooly at the end. Clinique Superfine Liner and MAC Eyebrow Pencil both self sharpening super fine pencils, brilliant for extra precise brow shaping, however I do find these types of pencil tend to run out really quickly so can be expensive to maintain for a daily brow routine.  Smashbox Brow Tech To Go personally I don't get on with this product but a lot of people do as it's always got really good reviews.  This has a waxier consistency and slanted self-sharpening tip, so great for taming bushier brows.  At the other end is a teeny tiny mascara wand loaded with brow gel, again perfect for setting thicker more unruly brows.

Waxes and Gels

Waxes and gels are a great way to set and define your brows.  I currently use the Benefit Gimme Brow which is a fibre gel that bonds to the hair and skin, creating volume and shape for sparse brows.  Another great slightly cheaper alternative is the Maybelline Brow Drama.  If you don't want a coloured brow gel, you can always opt for The Bodyshop Brow and Lash Gel, none crispy and holds brows all day long. Benefit Brow Zings contains a powder, wax and built in mirror, plus a pair of mini tweezers and some brushes making brows on the go a doddle.  Anastasia Dipbrow Pommade my favourite of the bunch.  This is described as having a gel-mousse consistency that sets and defines brows all day.  Smudge proof, sweat proof basically life proof this stuff has changed my brow routine for the better.  Be warned as this is highly pigmented stuff, a little goes a long way.

Extras

Depending on how you like to style our brows, you can always add a little something extra to make them really stand out.  Personally I find this a bit much for everyday but whatever floats your boat. My favourite products are Soap & Glory Arch de Triumph a recent find yet much love for this already.  This is a perfect dupe for Benefit's High Brow; at nearly half the price, this creamy matte pencil is perfect for highlighting under the brows and lifting the entire look. 


 
 
Concealer. Any concealer will do, the more illuminating the better as used under, over and around the brows can really define the shape and make them stand out from the rest of your makeup.  Great for nights out.  I use a small concealer brush to outline the shape of my brows then buff this in to the rest of my foundation using a fluffy eye brush.


I hope you enjoyed reading about some of my favourite brow products.  Next up on my to do list is to try the HD Brow treatment which involves a 7 step brow process to tint and shape your brows, sounds like torture but Ive heard the results are well worth it!

What are  your favourite brow products of the moment?

Your truly




xx


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo blanklogofull.png